Facebook has decided to shut down its “family-oriented” News Feed to make way for a “new type of content” that would “better fit the needs of the web’s youngest audience.”
The decision, which comes after an investigation by the company, was made Thursday by chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg and her team, who were responding to a series of social media complaints about the News Feed’s “family” feature.
The News Feed has been a focal point for Facebook since the company launched it in 2010.
But in recent months, Facebook has seen complaints about its use of ad-supported content and a lack of meaningful diversity in the company’s content.
The decision to shut off News Feed content came after a group of parents raised concerns that the feature had been used by some users to hide inappropriate content.
“We are proud of what Facebook has accomplished with its groundbreaking news platform, but we know there are still many ways to build better experiences for people and communities around the world,” Sandberg said in a statement.
The company said that it was not changing the way News Feed is used in the United States.